Bridge House (Albany Welcome Center)
Built in 1857 on the banks of the Flint River by formerly enslaved master architect Horace King, the Bridge House began as a toll house for Albany's covered bridge before its grand second floor became Tift Hall, a celebrated theater and ballroom for the city's elite. During the Civil War, its cellar pickled slaughtered hogs and cattle in barrels to feed the Confederate Navy.
Today it houses the Albany Welcome Center, but staff say it never fully emptied of its past: footsteps pace the vacant second floor, doors slam upstairs, and the old elevator drifts between floors on its own. Investigators recorded an untraceable voice from the cellar, while mediums sensed a man above and a child on the restless elevator.
Those who work there agree the lingering presence means no harm.
📍 112 N Front St, Albany, GA 31701, Albany, GA · Get directions